Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Miraculous Transformation!






I bought a pair of Golden Oak nightstands for cheap ... like $5 each only! They were at a second hand shop in outside storage and looked pretty rough! I decided to make my very first attempt at refinishing them in a Cherry finish to match my other bedroom furniture and the woodwork in the room! This is the "before" picture! The two nightstands match (except for the drawers) so this is the one that is not yet finished.




These are the products I used (found while researching on the internet) and bought at Lowe's. All you do is wipe down the wood with the "Deglosser" (smells very little and is like wiping with water). The wood gets very dried out and loses it's shine and color, like being out in the sun all summer! After drying for about half an hour, brush on the MinWax Polyshades, which has the stain and the varnish all in one! Use a very soft brush, made for staining, to not have brush marks. I did two coats.




Here is the "After" picture of my project (the first nightstand with different drawer, but exact same original finish was Oak). It was amazingly simple and turned out amazingly great! After I finish the other nightstand, I am going to transform my oak file cabinet and any other wood in the house that isn't already Cherry so it will all match!!!






1 comment:

Maren said...

Oh my gosh Geegee! I absolutely LOVE IT! It looks like its worth $50 bux now at least! Bravo to the internet for helping in finding that wonderful product! It's stunning now! Congrats!